While Google's search is algorithmic and automated, there are some ways you can create compelling listings for your online business that users are more likely to click.
Create compelling listings.
The image below is an example of a website listing in search. To make your listing compelling, follow the steps below:
CREATE USEFUL PAGE TITLES - Make sure your page titles are unique, descriptive, short and relevant. Avoid keyword stuffing!
CREATE READABLE URLS - The web address of a page is seen below the title, with words from the user's search in bold. Your urls should be simple and readable. e.g.:
- RECOMMENDED - http://www.realestateview.com.au/real-estate/sydney/
- NOT RECOMMENDED - http://www.rogerburnsrealestate.com/default.asp?PageID=363E5F93-A1BE-485D-9036-9795D4687F85
PROVIDE RELEVANT PAGE DESCRIPTIONS - Page descriptions are found under the url, and are usually taken from the metatags of your webpages. Your descriptions should run no more than 1 complete sentence, make sense to humans and be unique. When you write your page descriptions, also think about how you would like to differentiate your website from your competition and appeal to your target audience.
Manage your site links.
Using Google Webmaster tools, you can ask Google to demote site links you don't like.
To demote a site link URL:
- On the Webmaster Tools Home page, click the site you want.
- Under Site configuration, click Sitelinks.
- In the "For this search result box", complete the URL for which you don't want a specific sitelink URL to appear.
- In the "Demote this sitelink URL" box, complete the URL of the sitelink you want to demote.
Once you've demoted or undemoted a site link, it can take a little bit of time for search results to catch up. Also, per Google, you can demote up to 100 URL's and demotions are effective for 90 days from your most recent visit to the Sitelinks page in Webmaster Tools.
Add your business to Google+ Local.
Google displays local business information in their search results. It's free and you can sign up here: http://www.google.com/+/learnmore/local/
As always, if you need help with any of these tips please do not hesitate to contact us.